Multimedia & Gaming
Northern France is a hotbed of multimedia talent, with expertise in video games, animation, digital design and mobile apps. What’s more, we’re France’s No. 1 cluster for digital arts training—which means we’ve got just the talent you need to make your project a success.
NO. 2 DIGITAL ARTS REGION IN FRANCE
In November 2014, our regional capital Lille was awarded the Métropole French Tech label in recognition of its exceptionally favorable business environment—not just in the city, but throughout all of Northern France. Backed by a dedicated infrastructure and a talented workforce, we have dynamic SMEs, vibrant young startups and major multinationals rubbing shoulders with thriving business incubators and accelerators—so it’s hardly surprising that fresh synergies emerge all the time. Proof that “Lille is French Tech”.
- 200 businesses and professional associations
- 3,000 image and media professionals
- 30 specialized schools and training organizations
- 3,000 students
- 20 research organizations
6 AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Casual & social games
- Serious games
- Tablet & smartphone apps
- Augmented reality
- Human-machine Interface
- Atelier 801
- Byook (interactive books)
- And more
PICTANOVO: DIGITAL ARTS CLUSTER
Pictanovo was set up in 2003 to bring together professionals working on image-based projects. Dedicated to digital art, it creates opportunities for members to meet new partners, find funding and get help with distribution. Activities are spread over three main sites:
LA PLAINE IMAGES
La Plaine Images is a center of excellence exclusively devoted to moving-image arts and the creative sector. It provides an integrated environment where digital artists can pursue technological breakthroughs and explore groundbreaking multimedia technology.
- 5 hectares classified as an Urban Enterprise Zone (ZFA, Zone Franche Urbaine)
- 90 businesses—1,400 people
- Plaine Images Recherche: the only facility of its kind in Europe, uniting researchers from France’s National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) with teams from Lille 1 and Lille 3 Universities
- Imaginarium: 8,000 sq m of space designed to help businesspeople, researchers and artists work, meet and share ideas.
Main sectors and companies
- Multimedia: Aushopping, Clic & Walk, Improveeze
- Gaming: Ankama, Infuze
- Animation: Idées-3com, Reflets Video
- Audiovisual: Perception Media, Mye DJ, 3D Duo
LA SERRE NUMERIQUE
La Serre Numérique is a new hub for digital convergence development and learning exchange that offers an exceptional workplace in a dynamic ecosystem. As a trailblazing showcase for “the French touch” La Serre Numérique actively cultivates cross-fertilization, facilitating creative dialog between company directors, teachers, entrepreneurs, students, researchers and artists from different disciplines.
This 17,000 sq m complex (with Urban Enterprise Zone status) brings together:
- 3 Rubika Group schools offering world-class training for the creative arts
- 3,000 sq m of business space for hothousing, incubation, etc.
- A center for applied research and cutting-edge technology transfer
ARENBERG CREATIVE MINE
Once a mining site, Arenberg is undergoing a total transformation to become a center of research excellence for audiovisual technology. This is where the audiovisual techniques and tools of the future will be designed, developed and applied.
- The DeVisu Laboratory specializing in innovative audiovisual and digital media technology
- A test center equipped with a Motion Control robot that can repeatedly generate the same camera movement to get identical shots, for use in advertising shoots
- A fully equipped TV studio with LED lighting, 5 high-definition digital cameras and a motion capture system
- A 300-seat screening room with 4K digital projector and 7.1 sound
LOUVRE LENS VALLEE—THE CULTURAL & DIGITAL HUB
Do you have a cultural, educational or communications project based on digital technology? If so, cultural & digital hub Louvre Lens Vallée is the perfect partner.
Louvre Lens Vallée’s 4 strategic axes:
- Cultural outreach, especially in developing digital technology that makes culture accessible to a wider public
- Learning and knowledge, particularly ebooks used both as entertainment and as educational tools
- Scanning and preserving artworks and cultural heritage
- Promoting and exploiting the use of digital technology in tourism to enhance user experience
SETTING UP OR GROWING YOUR BUSINESS IN NORTHERN FRANCE
NORD FRANCE INVEST—TURNKEY SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR BUSINESS IN FRANCE
To make the most of setting up in Northern France, consult the experts. Nord France Invest welcomes you when you first arrive and guides you every step of the way while you set up or extend your business—in the strictest confidence, of course. Find out about all our services which are totally free of charge.
RECRUIT FROM WORLD-CLASS SCHOOLS
Rubika is a group of schools that trains top specialists for the creative industries. For 27 years, it has led the world in digital arts applied to animation, video games and design.
- 2 campuses (Serre Numérique in Valenciennes and Pune in India)
- 3 training programs: Supinfocom (animation & special effects), Supinfogame (video games) and Institut Supérieur de Design
- 1,500 students/3,000 graduates in 50 countries
- Over 100 awards won in festivals
Le Fresnoy - Studio National des Arts Contemporains is a premier teaching establishment for the audiovisual arts where advanced multimedia students hone their artistic skills. It offers a unique opportunity for them to produce work using professional-standard technical equipment, supervised by acclaimed artists across a wide range of media.
Training at Pôle IIID prepares designers, 3D designer/developers, digital filmmakers and video game developers to join the workforce as soon as they finish their training program—in companies of all sizes and in all areas of 3D design.
- 1 campus in the very center of Roubaix (Eurotéléport metro station) and 1 campus at La Plaine Images, which will eventually cover 1,500 sq m
- 3 specialized training programs
- 60 new students accepted each year
- Almost 400 graduates have completed the program
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AN EXCEPTIONAL MARKET
Setting up in Northern France gives you direct access to Europe’s largest consumer market. And Nord France Invest develops Export Booster—a bold new service to support the export sector—in partnership with the Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Northern France.
Back to top