A €25 million investment in Hauts-de-France
In line with the government’s recovery plan, Canadian company Bombardier is investing €25 million in its Crespin plant, the country’s largest rail construction site.
The “Plan 1000” investment aims to anticipate increased production and to upgrade production equipment.
Bombardier’s 3-part plan to modernise and increase production capacity
- upgrade equipment to reduce the most arduous tasks: increasing the use of robotics and process digitalisation, as well as ecological transition
- 25% increase in production capacity by creating new posts and lines for assembly and machinery
- Direct investment of €4 million in machinery and equipment from certain suppliers, enabling them to meet high volume production needs
- investing in logistics to increase storage capacity and upgrade IT systems
- Employment: Increase staff to support growth at the site. 160 out of 400 people have already been recruited on permanent contracts, starting 1st Sept 2020. Long-term employment at the plant will help to reverse the external/internal staff ratios and build its internal skill pool.
Order book filled for the next four years
In 20 years, the Crespin site has grown from producing 50 to 700 cars. With this investment, Bombardier is targeting 1,000 cars per year.
The power increase is essential to ensure it can meet its fully booked orders for the next 4 years.
The company has signed 5 major contracts:
- Francilien, 560 trains
- OMNEO double-deck, 455 trains
- RER NG, 71 trains
- The Belgian M7, 355 coaches out of the project’s 445
- Paris Metro MF 19, 44 trainsets
33 TER trainsets have also been ordered by the Hauts-de-France Region to the tune of €565 million.
Bombardier in the heart of the France’s leading railway region
The largest national railway construction site is located near Valenciennes, in the Hauts-de-France region, and not by accident.
The region offers perfect conditions for rail projects: international manufacturers, such as Alstom and Siemens; level 2 and 3 subcontractors; storage capacity; and commercial real estate at competitive rates.
Source : Bombardier