We’re at the heart of tomorrow’s transport systems. The leader in French rail and a major player in Europe, Northern France is developing a solid, tightly interconnected rail sector. Structured around a broad range of R&D facilities, our rail ecosystem is looking resolutely toward the future.
NO. 1 RAIL REGION IN FRANCE
- 4 world-class vehicle manufacturers
- Over 100 specialized suppliers and subcontractors
- Nearly 10,000 rail industry jobs
- 40% of all rail manufacturing in France
- €1 billion in sales
4 WORLD-CLASS BUILDERS
- Alstom: urban transport, metros, interconnected regional and national transport
- Bombardier: trams and urban transport
- Siemens: urban transport
- Titagarh Wagon AFR: freight cars
LEADING EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURERS
- Barat Sofanor: seats / interior fittings
- Deprecq: sheet metal
- Faiveley NSF: ventilation, heating and air conditioning
- Forges de Fresnes Valdunes Group: triangular brake beams for freight cars
- MA Steel: wheelsets and axles
- Outreau Technologies: crossings
- Railtech: welding equipment and technology
- Stratiforme Compreforme Groupe: composite parts for locomotives and rail cars
- Studia, Technifrance: consulting and research support
A FULL RANGE OF EXPERTISE
- ERA — European Railway Agency
Improving rail safety and interoperability in Europe
- RIA — Railway Industries Association
Promoting Lille Region’s rail industry
- CEF — Centre d’Essais Ferroviaire (railway test track)
A unique test track designed for locomotives, electric rail and metros
- CERTIFER — French railway certification agency (Notified Body/NoBo)
France’s only certification authority specializing in rail and guided transport
ADVANCED RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS
I-TRANS: WORLD-CLASS CLUSTER FOR SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT
Areas of activity
Invent, design, make and sell tomorrow’s transport systems
CISIT: CAMPUS INTERNATIONAL SUR LA SECURITE ET L'INTERMODALITE DANS LES TRANSPORTS
4 STRATEGIC GOALS
Leading the effort to build tomorrow’s vehicles and transport systems
12 laboratories and 3 technology development centers
RAILENIUM: INSTITUTE FOR EXCELLENCE IN TECHNOLOGY RESEARCH
Railenium is a European center for R&D, innovation and testing, specializing in rail infrastructures
TRANSALLEY CLUSTER FOR INNOVATIVE, SUSTAINABLE MOBILITY
An industrial and scientific cluster targeting world-class status, Transalley has developed an ecosystem designed to boost innovation.
HIGHLY TRAINED LABOR POOL
- 6 million inhabitants
- 33% of the population is under 25
- 2,000 students enrolled in mobility-oriented programs
ADVANCED TRAINING IN SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT
- Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Ingénieurs de Mécanique Energétique (ENSIAME) in Valenciennes: 180 engineering graduates/year. Three specialties: mechanical engineering/energetics, mechatronics, master’s degree in rail and guided transport systems.
- Institut Catholique des Arts et Métiers (ICAM) in Lille: 200 engineering graduates/year. Master’s degree in railway engineering.
- Hautes Etudes d’Ingénieur (HEI) in Lille: 300 engineering graduates/year. Specialties include mechanical engineering and design, master’s degree in innovative technology for transport systems.
- Centre International de Formation Ferroviaire de la Côte d’Opale: A wholly-owned subsidiary of Eurotunnel Group and the first private-sector training center focusing exclusively on the rail industry. Offers training for 15 professions including freight-train drivers, rail maintenance specialists and railway ground agents.
- Centre de Production de Formation Traction in Lille: SNCF’s largest training center for TGV drivers in Europe. France’s only driver training center for high-speed TGV trains (has trained 1,600 specialists nationwide).
Back to top