Internet of Things
Northern France ranks among France’s top 5 regions for information and communication technologies. With our dedicated ICT sites and IoT cluster, we’re home to a host of international businesses specializing in the Internet—and we’ve got the perfect location for you.
NORTHERN FRANCE—NO. 4 ITC REGION IN FRANCE
In November 2014, our regional capital Lille was awarded the Métropole French Tech label in recognition of its exceptionally favorable business environment—not just in the city, but throughout all of Northern France. Backed by a dedicated infrastructure and a talented workforce, we have dynamic SMEs, vibrant young startups and major multinationals rubbing shoulders with thriving business incubators and accelerators—so it’s hardly surprising that fresh synergies emerge all the time. Proof that “Lille is French Tech”.
- 1,288 ICT businesses
- Over 25,000 jobs
- Nearly 2,500,000 Internet users across the region
INTERNET OF THINGS: BUSINESS IS BOOMING
INTERNET OF THINGS: FRANCE
- 2014 sales reached €15.1 billion (source GfK)
- 2015-2020: an estimated 2 billion connected objects will be sold (source GfK)
- 75% of French Internet users view connected objects as progress
- 71% of French Internet users believe that connected objects make life easier
(Source CSA 2013)
- France generated €90 million in sales in 2014
- 640,000 wearable units sold in France in 2014
The Connected Home
- France generated €29 million in sales in 2014
- 900,000 units sold in France in 2014
- Strong growth in this sector, with 2015 sales expected to reach €3.2 billion (source GfK)
INTERNET OF THINGS: WORLDWIDE
- 2014: 15 billion connected objects, up from 4 billion in 2010
- 2020: 80 billion connected objects
- 2020: at least 7 connected objects per person
( 2013 idate report)
INTERNET OF THINGS: NORTHERN FRANCE
FIELDS OF EXPERTISE
- Identification and tracking
MAJOR REGIONAL GROUPS IN IOT
- CIC Nord Ouest
- Eaux du Nord
- and more
- Etineo is developing a node that interacts with apartment heating systems in a residential block so programming can be managed without installing network infrastructures.
- Geolatys offers GPS geolocation that monitors vehicle fleet movements in real time.
- Jooxter is designing an app and motion sensing technology that streamline use of shared business spaces and simultaneously improve user experience.
- Keyneosoft offers 2 applications: KeyPOS, a mobile cashier app for use at point of sale and Tag2Scan, a QR code and NFC tag platform.
- Natural Security Alliance is developing a strong authentication standard that uses biometrics and mid-range contactless technology to enable end users to authenticate their identity quickly and securely; the user-friendly procedure stays the same, regardless of transaction type, personal device used, or location.
- Noolitics offers Noolibee, a solution that connects objects to the Internet and makes them intelligent; when Noolibee modules are electronically interconnected with industrial or medical machinery, they can report real-time data.
- Talice specializes in radio frequency, wireless and RFID technology, offers security engineering and develops tracking and mobility applications.
- Weenat makes independent live data agronomic sensors for farmers: wireless and energy-efficient, with globe-spanning network capability.
CITC: THE IOT CLUSTER FOR NORTHERN FRANCE
CITC – Cluster #Internet of Things is a key player in the fast-growing field of contactless technology. Based at Euratechnologies the CITC cluster consists of 90 stakeholders—companies, startups, entrepreneurs, academics and more—and a Technology Resource Center, and is now tackling some of the major technological challenges presented by the Internet of Things, such as communicating objects, machine-to-machine solutions and ambient intelligence. Within this vibrant, diverse ecosystem there are many technical, R&D and collaborative projects underway, targeting rapidly expanding markets including ICT, logistics, health, habitat, transport and gaming. CITC also initiates and leads cross-disciplinary collaborative research projects and develops full-scale test platforms.
With its own team of 5 engineers plus partnerships with outside laboratories, CITC offers a wide range of expertise to innovative businesses:
- Full-scale test platform
EXPERTISE AND INNOVATION
As a technology resource center, CITC offers tailored tech support services to businesses and other organizations. Users benefit from:
- Equipment and platform: telecoms, EMC, sensors and design
- Full-scale test and experiment platform (Living Lab)
- Skilled professionals specializing in telecom, electronics, IT and embedded systems (engineers and doctors)
SMARTHOME by CITC: STRETCHING THE BOUNDARIES
CITC’s SmartHome project invites you into the home of the future: total immersion in a world where technological breakthroughs serve human beings, providing a user-friendly, energy-efficient house that meets fundamental needs for independence, well-being and social interaction.
SmartHome 3.0 (the third iteration of this project) offers partners a test bed for their project—a laboratory where they can experiment with new products and functionalities, and get feedback fast. Built by CITC, SmartHome measures over 90 sq m and is on display in the EuraTechnologies Atrium.
- Intelligent access system allows householders to monitor and manage access to the home using authorized profiles
- Doors open automatically to facilitate access for people with reduced mobility
- SmartPharma medicine cabinet sends an email or text message when users forget to take their medication
- Dashboard provides an interface for household tasks such as putting out trash and accessing community information.
- Cooking Ideas app keeps track of what’s in the kitchen and links with Dashboard to suggest recipes based on resident profiles
- Magic Mirror: when a resident picks up a toothbrush, the mirror identifies her and plays her favorite news program
- And much more
SET UP YOUR BUSINESS IN NORTHERN FRANCE—AND GROW
LET NORD FRANCE INVEST HELPS YOU SET UP YOUR BUSINESS
Tap into our expertise to make the most of locating your business in Northern France. Nord France Invest welcomes you when you arrive, and guides you every step of the way while you set up your business. Our services are free and completely confidential. Learn more about what Nord France Invest can do for you.
Northern France boasts a qualified workforce and ranks in Europe’s top 5 for operating costs.
16 schools and universities offer specialized courses, including:
- Ecole Centrale Lille
- Ecole des Mines de Douai
- Polytech Lille
- Lille 1 University
- Valenciennes University
- and more
AN OUTSTANDING MARKET
When you locate your business in Northern France, you have direct access to Europe’s largest consumer market and doing business with African markets is easy. Learn how Export Booster—a service offered jointly by Nord France Invest and the Northern France Chamber of Commerce and Industry—can help create optimum conditions for growing your business.