Digital piracy and large-scale hacking have made cybersecurity a major concern in recent years. As a French Tech region that supports innovation and startups, Northern France responded by creating a dedicated business sector, drawing on the wide range of resources in our digital ecosystem. Today Lille is Europe’s cyberdefense capital, home to key industry players and hosting events like the FIC International Cybersecurity Forum.
CYBERSECURITY IN NORTHERN FRANCE
- 73 specialized businesses
- 22 dedicated training programs
- 5 research laboratories working on cybersecurity issues
- 7 professional associations
- 3 institutions
- 6,500 jobs in computer security
TOP CYBERSECURITY COMPANIES
- Netasq: protection and security monitoring services for businesses, government institutions and defense organizations
- Scrypto: data exchange and network protection services
- Atos Worldline: transactional electronic payment services
- Keyneosoft: secure mobile payment services
- Runiso: secure hosting and outsourcing services
- Advens: information security management
- Stormshield: innovative end-to-end security solutions to protect networks, workstations and data
DIGITAL CONFIDENCE & CYBERSECURITY CLUSTER
The Digital Confidence & Cybersecurity Cluster (CNCS, Confiance Numérique et CyberSécurité) was set up in January 2015 within EuraTechnologies, the local ICT excellence hub. It counts 107 members and serves as a coordinating structure for digital security across Northern France and the wider Euroregion. Aim: promote networking within the digital community, fostering a culture of trust that encourages members to work collaboratively and form partnerships.
A CYBERSECURITY INCUBATOR IN LILLE
In 2015, ICT incubator EuraTechnologies focused on digital confidence, reaching out to businesses active in the field. Entrepreneurs are given every chance to pursue their projects, with tailored support and a network of mentors. Cluster members—both providers and users—are making their experience and know-how available to executives in the incubator and accelerator, with mentors from all over Europe offering sessions to program members.
INTERNATIONAL CYBERSECURITY FORUM (FIC)
FIC brings together digital professionals from across Europe to fight cybercrime.
- Open up the debate on cybersecurity by taking a cross-disciplinary approach
- Promote innovation that enhances digital confidence
- Keep the human dimension firmly at the heart of cybersecurity
- Foster synergies between the public and private realms
FIC 2016 in figures
- 5,450 delegates
- 50 nationalities
- 250 speakers and panelists
- 240 partners
- 50 conferences/workshops
- 3 awards
Biometrics Alliance Initiative is a working group providing a forum for biometric technology users. It was launched in 2012 to tackle the need for a frame of reference on the security, usability and performance of biometrics.
Today Biometrics Alliance Initiative is establishing concrete operational recommendations for developers of biometric solutions.
Founders and active members
Banque Accord, Center for Contactless Technologies, Elitt, EuraRFID (CITC - EuraRFID), Ensicaen, Leroy Merlin, Natural Security Alliance, Paycert, TazTag, UL (Underwriters Laboratories), Vauban Systems, Wincor-Nixdorf, and others.
NATURAL SECURITY ALLIANCE
Natural Security Alliance is designing and developing a robust authentication standard that uses biometrics and mid-range contactless technology to enable end users to make payments and access services, both locally and remotely. The same technology and user-friendly procedure are applied across all transaction types (payment, electronic signature, accessing services), amounts, and locations—home, in-store, online, ATM, company office, etc.
This technology combines 3 components:
- A personal device-based secure device or component that never leaves the user’s hand and stores the data required for authentication (e.g., smart card or cellphone equipped with a micro SD card)
- Mid-range contactless technology that enables authentication on personal secure devices
- Biometrics that enable all transactions to be authenticated without the need for entering or remembering a code
DID YOU KNOW? FAST FACTS ON CYBERSECURITY
CYBERDEFENSE IN FRANCE
- €1.3 billion: value of the cybersecurity market in France in 2013 (source: PAC Online)
- €2.5 billion: cost of cybercrime in France in 2012 (source: Norton 2012)
- 80% of data theft is a result of human error (source: IBM/Norton)
- 18% of attacks are opportunistic (taking advantage of existing weaknesses with the sole aim of causing damage) (source: IBM/Norton)
- 23% of attacks are willful acts of industrial espionage, terrorism or data theft (source: IBM/Norton)
- 48% of businesses cite security as the main hurdle for the Cloud (source: PAC CloudIndex)
- 8 out of 10 connected objects pose a real threat to personal privacy (source: Harris Interactive)
SETTING UP OR DEVELOPING YOUR BUSINESS IN NORTHERN FRANCE
NORD FRANCE INVEST—A TURNKEY SOLUTION FOR YOUR BUSINESS IN FRANCE
Want to grow your operations in Europe, reach a new market, or diversify sales? Northern France offers a wealth of advantages to benefit your business. And at Nord France Invest we’ll help you set up or develop your project with services that are free and completely confidential. Learn more about what Nord France Invest can do for you.
Northern France boasts a qualified workforce and ranks in Europe’s top 5 for operating costs.
35 schools, universities and training facilities offer specialized courses in cybersecurity, including:
- EPITECH Lille
- Lens University
- Valenciennes University
- Ecole Centrale Lille
- Sciences Po Lille
AN OUTSTANDING MARKET
Europe’s largest single pool of consumers lives within a 300-km radius of Lille. When you locate your business in Northern France, you have direct access to this premium market, and doing business with African markets is easy.
Learn how Export Booster—a service offered jointly by Nord France Invest and the Northern France Chamber of Commerce and Industry—can help create optimum conditions for growing your business.
Back to top